Friday 12 April 2013

Print Design Research-Book Work

I have been researching print design for one of my college projects. I have researched into contemporary and historical print design as well as print design from different cultures. I found this part of the project really interesting and inspiring for my own final print design. Seeing the difference between all three different types of print design was interesting as I learnt a lot and I could see the difference over the different cultures and time periods. 

I have done all of this work in my sketchbook previously so I thought instead of writing it out all over again it would be easier just to photograph it. Hopefully it is readable. 


HISTORICAL PRINT DESIGN







Hopefully my handwriting is readable and the photo quality isn't too poor. I liked these three artists work it was interesting too look at the older styles of print design as this is where it started. Not of the artists really inspired me as they were although I really liked the mirrored symmetrical prints which William Morris produced. I like the symmetry but also the flock style prints themselves I think they would still work today and the only real change I would be too make the colours more interesting.

 Ben Nicholson was the only artist which really link back to my chosen art movement which is Bauhaus as he used colours close to Bauhaus artist Johannes Itten as well as Geometric shapes but sadly I didn't find his work inspiring. 




CONTEMPARY PRINT DESIGN











Contemporary design was more interesting for me as there was more to research and it was more reliable as I was alive when these were around, so I can relate to certain things. The main reason why I liked contemporary artists was the bright and vivid colours used and how technology as impacted the production of it making the prints more digital. I really liked Zandra Rhodes print designs as they are very quirky and different, they look extremely unique and she has her own style of design. I like the way the she uses different contrasting colours which something that has inspired me for my own work as it looks edgy and vibrant. 

I also really like Mary Karantzou's designs as I find the mirrored effect of her print really interesting. I like the vibrancy of the colours which she uses as they are contrasting which I find inspiring. I like the fact that her summer collections are vibrant and bright with very floral inspired pattern designs and then in the winter uses more of an icy pastel colours less yellow and red and more blue and purple. I like this as her work is seasonal but still fits both times of the year and each season is a completely different printing style. 

I would be interested in creating a symmetrical design for my garment as I think it look really effective the only problem is I dont think it will suit my Bauhaus inspiration as well as it being harder to cut it from my fabric which could mean that I will waste a lot of fabric as well as money.




CULTURAL PRINT DESIGN

I also research into cultural print designs.  I focused on African designers as they use colours and shapes which could inspire me for my own designs. I looked at 2 different artists Deola Sagoe and Alphandi. This research is also in my sketchbook so once again they are photographs of my sketchbook.  I looked into African print as traditional in kente prints they choose colours which express your personally and I thought that was a very interesting way to express yourself through clothing. 


DEOLA SAGOE






I really like Sagoe's prints as they have traditional African influences but the cut and shape is very contemporary and has a very 'western' style/approach.  I really like the texture of her print especially the middle pink and purple on the right hand side as well as the top far left dress, they have amazing textured prints. I like the way Sagoe adds structure to her garment this is really inspiring for my own garment as Bauhaus is a lot of shapes which will need structure. I like the unique cuts that Sagoe has cut in her garments as they are really different. My favourite cuts are the pink and purple dress because of the structure and neckline and the bottom hem-line of both the top left and top right images above as it is very feminine which is inspiring for my own work. I also like the back-line of the typically African print on the top of the bottom three images as it is interesting and doesn't follow traditional African wear but keeps an African feel with the print.


ALPHADI




I love Alphandi's using of shapes and colours as well as panelling. The panelling is very Bauhaus as it is very triangular as well the bright colours which also really reminds me of my art movement. Even the shapes prints on the garments are very Bauhaus-esque and the evening gowns even have a bold use of colour.

The patterns and prints really interest me in this artists work. As well as the different culture which is inspiring as they just prove that any art movement can be put with any culture and fits really well with everything as they can link. This has inspired me not only in print and design but also to keep myself going and design my Bauhaus inspired garment.




I found researching both historical and contemporary design really inspiring for the production of my own garment as I can see the difference between more traditional forms of print design as well as contemporary designers work. I was inspiring as I can see the different styles and how they are formed together to create the final print designs.  I find the contemporary designs more inspiring as they are more quirky and unique. These are my personal favourite and I like the contrasting colours used I will be taking this inspiration for my own designs. Cultural print has really inspired as both the artists has different styles but also kept traditional views. The prints and structures of these garments have given me an in site to their culture which I found interesting but also helped me develop my own ideas further.  I think this research has given me the motivation to create my garment.






No comments:

Post a Comment