Wednesday 17 April 2013

Mark making and print development




I had to embrace my art movement which is Bauhaus when creating my first mark making sheet. At this point I slightly different inspiration for my print design I was still interested in colour but I preferred more pastel colours. I also looked into the Bauhaus alphabet as I thought this could work really well on a print design. I was also inspired by war and the weapons used when at war as Bauhaus came around after WW1. This is why I chose to create a gun which was made out of lipsticks as this is a weapon but it has been made up out of more interesting materials and lipsticks are feminine which is something I knew I wanted to portray in my garment. I chose mac lipsticks mainly as I think they have a very interesting shape as well as resembling bullets. 

The block colours 'samples' on the page were inspired by the the use of colour within Bauhaus which is a key factor within this art movement. I thought about this more deeply and when thinking about paint I thought of the samples that you can get from Dulex which is what give me this idea. I also played around with blowing ink as I think this looks really effective and would look good on the a print design.

This was just my starting point and was mainly experimentation.  This helped me develop my final designs and get to where I am. 



I decided to develop my print further as I didn't think it fitted back to my art movement very well and I didn't get any further inspiration for my print design. I decided to focus on Geometric shapes as well as the running ink as I thought this would look pretty interesting on a garment. I trialled with 3 different types of print designs to see what they would come out like, these designs are on the left. 

The first design is on the left hand side of the top image. This is my running ink effect. Although I really liked the idea of this I didn't like the effect it achieved once dry and I thought that doing this through the screen printing technique wouldn't look how I wanted it too so I have decided to ditch this idea. 


The second print design on the right of this picture is my favourite print design out of all of them is the starting point for what I used as my final print. I wanted to embrace Bauhaus' use of geometric shapes as I thought this would look really effective as a print design. I really like this print design but the only thing I would change is I would develop it further by playing around with scale and making it more sketchy when it is printed. To do this i must leave some white areas on the see through paper. I like the way it is slightly repetitive. 



The third print design I wasn't too sure of as I think my second one was stronger. I tried to add circles into this print as I had them in no other print, as well as adding lines. I don't like the effect that the lines have achieved and if I were to use this for my final garment I definitely would  have used a ruler to make them with. I think it definitely shows strong influences from my art movement unlike the first print design. 





I want to develop the second design for my final print design as I think this one is my strongest print design. I will develop this print by making it more scratchy by leaving more white on the coditrace as well as playing around with the scale of the shapes as I think this could look really effective for my final print design. 





PRINT DEVELOPMENT AND MARK MAKING USING PHOTOSHOP




This the print design which I came up with from the original print design I had chosen, it is sketchy like I wanted to be and although on the computer it looks really fades once it has been printed on the fabric the effect is exactly what I wanted it too have looked like. This geometric shape goes really well with my art movement and I think I will be able to make it suit my target market. 


I decided to play around with the scale of my print and have some larger shapes and smaller ones. I think this makes my print design more interesting. I wouldn't want my print this large so I needed to play around on photoshop until it is the size I want it too be. I also need to scratch into this print until it is the desired sketchy look which I wanted to achieve. 


This is an image of the print after have worked into it and scratched out the unwanted matte effect. I tried to keep a bold outline of the geometric shapes but also get this sketchy effect that I wanted. I am happy with the outcome and I now want to play around with the scale and see if I can create a nice repeat print as I think would look interesting on my final garment.

We learnt about repeat print on paper and played around with the different ways of displaying the print and laying it out. I chose to have mine like this as I think it looked the best out of all of the repeat print designs. My print is quite repetitive so I this simple repetition looked really effective. I firstly trialled this on paper and then played around with the rotation on photoshop to see the outcomes here is my final print design. 


I am really happy with my final print design. I am glad that I chose this style of repeating it as I think it has made more of a definition of the rectangles which before just blended it with the other geometric shapes. I think this will look really effective on my final garment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment