Tuesday 16 April 2013

Mark Making Artist

CY TWOMBLOY

Cy Twombloy was an American artist who's name is really Edwin Parker 'Cy' Twombly, Jr. 
He is well known for his large-scale, freely scribbled graffiti style painting which also have a slight calligraphic-style to them. These painting are mainly grey, tan or off white coloured canvas. 


Twombloy's paintings are just in between drawing and painting. Many of his best-known paintings of the late 60s are inspired by a school blackboard on which someone has practiced cursive 'e's'. Twombly had at this point discarded painting figurative, representational subject-matter. Making each mark have it's own story as its proper subject matter. He believed that mark making has a more interesting outcome then more traditional fine art.






Here are some images which Twombloy has created which have been looking at within my research.



This painting has been created on a large-scale white background. The medium he has used to create the drips is watered down acrylic paint which he has purposefully produced mark making. I like this image as he has a good use of colour and the marks he has made are really interesting. I like the way the paint has run and it looks like he has used ink for the running sections. The way that the paint has run in a straight line is really effective. The colours that he has used are really inspiring for my final design as they contrast but compliment each other which is something I want in my own work. 


This painting has been worked back into over the top. He has painted the acrylic on the canva thickly and then scratched marks into take away the paint and leave interesting mark making. This painting has used very natural and earthy colours which is different to the bright colours used above. I quite like this as I think these colours work well together and compliment each other. I personally wouldn't use these colours for my garment though and I don't think that this technique would work well for print screening as there would be no white coming through the screen. 



The colours in this painting have more of a sad feel about them with a more faded and muted mark making effect although the layering of paint makes this more of a thoughtful process to paint. There is more of a subject matter in this picture which are the little caveman style drawings - these are pretty basic but work well within this image. I personally wouldn't use this image as inspiration for print as drawings are very basic but this could like back to Bauhaus as they are child-like. Although I do like the colours in the background which could work well for my dying technique which I will use on my fabric. 


JACKSON POLLOCK




Jackson Pollock was an influential American painter and a massive figure in the abstract expressionist movement. He was known for his unique style of drip painting. Pollock had an unique technique of how he created his abstract artwork. He was known for dripping the paint onto a high speed moving wheel which created random expressive splats of paint. He used lots of thick layers of paint which he kept adding to which added texture to his art work. He also dribbles the paint onto his work in random places. 



I love the idea and technique behind Pollock's mark making as it is very expressive and lively. I love the fact that he has lots of texture in his painting but I don't see any links to my inspiration with his work although again this artist is child-like. He uses very dull colours as well has bright which adds more depth too his art work but I personally this doesn't inspire me for my own mark making for my print design.  



I think the idea of him breaking the mould and pushing boundaries is interesting and I do like his work, but for this project he doesn't inspire my own. I do think that he has a certain style and doesn't seem to vary his work at all as it all seems to look the same. 




BRICE MARDEN

Brice Marden is an American artist. His work is generally described as Minimalist though it is hard to categorize his work. In the late 60's and early 70's gained international fame as the master of the monochrome panel. Over the course of his career Marden's work has developed to reveal a large range of influences which he has witnessed himself during his travels through out the world. 





Although Brice Marden's work is really basic I think that is simple but effective. I like the way that it isn't just random lines on a page and that it has a sense of flow with it. The vibrant colours immediately drew your attention to the art work. I like the way he used flat coloured backgrounds with crazy brightly coloured lines over the top of the background. I like the darker or lighter background simplistic ones. I don't like the bright red background. I think that the navy background is better as the colours stand out more and more vivid. This is inspiring for my garment and allows me to think about the positioning of the colours and how this can impact a garment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment