Saturday 10 August 2013

Through the First Year.. with another shortly to begin!

I have finished my first year of the Extended Diploma in Fashion and Textiles at Plymouth College of Art which I thoroughly enjoyed through these short but very busy 12 months. I have learnt so much and developed so many different skills. It's been really rewarding watching my skills grow and develop. This time 12 months ago I didn't know anything about a sewing machine, pattern cutting or any of the equipment I now use on a daily bases without even thinking twice. I find myself looking at clothing and analyzing the way it has been manufactured and created; how the garment is finished, and what techniques they have used. 

I recently received my grades from the first year which I am completely over the moon with. At the beginning of the year my grades were average. I was achieving a Pass level which I really wasn't happy with. I pushed and pushed myself, asking for feedback, what I could do to make my grades higher, how I could achieve better until this started to come more routine and natural to me. I am so happy I did push myself because my grades really do show that my hard work has paid off. I achieved 5 Distinctions, 2 Merits and 1 Pass. I've never got such high grades in my life. I am over the moon with joy. Admittedly I am not happy with my Pass but I honestly didn't even think I would pass that unit. I have dropped pattern cutting in the next year as I'm taking promotion instead but I have decided that I would like to do an evening class in Pattern Cutting to keep learning more skills and allow myself to continue learning how to Pattern cut as I think it's a very important skill to have. 

I am really looking forward to the second year and I cannot wait to push myself even harder and achieve even more. I am just nervous about universities and choosing the right one for me. One more year and I'm leaving little Plymouth to go to university and start my career. I will make it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment